View Single Post
Old 10-05-2022, 06:01 AM   #22
ApS

Arrow Chasing The Wrong Devil...

If you are heating with a wood stove, close the doors to rooms which are not being used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
If you really want to squeeze the most out of your energy buck, buy an electric car. My buddy has a Nissan leaf, that he bought used, he plugs it into a 110V socket, and does almost all his driving in it. It's a little bit older leaf, so he got it relatively cheap (under $20k) he has had it about 3 years, maybe more. He's comfortable with up to a 100 mile range before he starts worrying about range. Best of all it's something like less than a third of what a similar car would cost in gas. He has spent zero in maintenance on it so far. I was not pro- electric car until I sat down and began to understand how much further they can move you on less energy.

My next car is probably going to be a Tesla model Y. I have a Grand Cherokee right now that gets about 21 all around gas mileage. I knew that going in, but it still irks me when fill ups have been in the $80 to $100 range depending on how empty I let it get and where I buy the gas.
But you would not be moved by "less energy".

Mountains of earth are moved to find the minerals necessary to build EVs. The mining, mostly in third-world countries, is accomplished with fossil fuels. Assembly in Asia is managed with fossil fuels or electricity powered by coal (a fossil-fuel) shipped from Australia.

New coal-powered generating plants are being built there at a rate greater than one per month.

Asia has more than six times the number of coal-fired electric generating plants than the USA. (Necessary to build solar panels and EV batteries).

Let's not discuss where millions of EV batteries--depleted of energy--are to be disposed of.

Oops... Am I suffering from " wrong-think"?

Last edited by ApS; 10-05-2022 at 06:48 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post: