View Single Post
Old 10-03-2022, 09:07 AM   #8
LikeLakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Implied in "using less energy" is a major shift in attitude away from our consumer culture---the idea that more is better, bigger is better. You say you have "boats" in the plural. Is one boat not enough?

The ultimate consumer would be someone who, say, flies to Italy where he has a mega yacht on the Mediterranean. Wow, what an experience that would be! We need to redefine this idea of "experience." Real experiences should be a primary goal for everyone. After spending my whole life working to get more things and spending much of my time taking care of those things (buying, selling, repairing, storing), I concluded that I had missed out on too many experiences that are the essence of real living and I began to downsize and simplify my life.

Mega experiences require mega energy, especially gasoline. Smaller experiences can be just as satisfying, use less energy, and cost less. There are countless ways to have enjoyable, low-energy, low-cost experiences here in the Lakes Region. I've had plenty of cost-free, gasoline-free experiences in a kayak that can't be matched in a power boat.
As I said, there are areas of my lifestyle where I freely admit I don't do what I can to conserve. I generally have 3 or 4 boats at any given time, for various reasons. I can see myself moving toward less items and simpler existence over the coming years but not because of any desire for a new simpler existence, more for practicality and time constraints. I think we do a pretty good job of enjoying life and experiences that are not "mega" as you describe, we spend as much time as we can outdoors doing various activities year round, mostly within a several hour driving radius of home.

Because I don't practice a consistent conserving lifestyle myself I don't judge others. If someone has a mega yacht I'm more likely to just say "that's not for me" than to suggest they are doing something wrong. But having said that, there's no question that the carbon footprint of the uber-wealthy elite class is out of control. It probably takes 100,000 citizens being energy conscious to offset one billionaire with their various homes/boats/planes/cars. That may not be fair but it's part of life and always has been.