View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 10:34 AM   #2
jbolty

I have zero interest in a modern car. I travel a fair amount so rent cars a lot. The touch screen stuff is flat out dangerous and over complicates the simple thing of adjusting the radio or the heater without losing focus on the road.

A few years ago I had no idea that cars shutting off at a stop was a thing. My first exposure to it was while in jammed up traffic on the george washington bridge. Such a stupid idea. Sure the car starts right away, but what if it doesn't and what happens when the car has 100,000 miles and is a little sluggish to fire up. Lunacy

Engines and the mechanical part of most cars from the last decade are reliable and last far longer than cars of old but the electronics are the killer. Diagnosing electrical faults can take hours or days and can get so expensive it's not worth doing. My friends car was totaled after a very minor accident because of the cost of replacing the air bags. the sheet metal damage was almost nothing.

I am a software developer and from that perspective I don't trust most of it and find it poorly designed and overly complicated for the user side.