View Single Post
Old 02-06-2022, 12:38 PM   #27
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Hey there again ...... I said that on Thursday, January 27 ...... and who knew it ..... but on Friday, Feb 4, the Pond Hockey-Meredith Bay event was closed for the day and on Saturday, Feb 5, it was cancelled in total for the weekend due to rough ice surface condition and water flooding through cracks in the ice surface supposedly caused by the weather or something.

Cancellation notice: Saturday, Feb 5; http://www.pondhockeyclassic.com/phc...ment-cancelled ....... Meredith Bay, Lake Winnipesaukee

I don't know ..... if you ask me ..... with so many pickup trucks, shacks, and numerous items like people and gear out on the ice .... maybe the weight of all these items was enough to sink the floating ice just a tiny bit and cause it to flood? Ice is 10% less dense than liquid water and floats on top of the water. When the ice surface gets depressed just a tiny bit due to all the added weight with the Pond Hockey event it makes the water come up through any cracks in the ice surface.
I'm no ice fisher but the ice must be really thick right now after such a long stretch of cold. The rain didn't so much melt or weaken it, but pooled a lot and absorbed into the snow that was out there. Did all that weight cause the cracks and water to come flooding through, I doubt it. Compared to the weight of the water from the rain, the trucks etc. are nothing. You tend to get uneven spots from wind blowing snow around. If you have a tiny different in height the water migrates there and pushes it down more making more room for more water. I think most of it is the rain itself, and the snow it melted pooling to the lowest point near by.

I highly suspect it was not canceled for safety reasons, but more the ice is just really crappy right now. I was out on NewFound yesterday and it was a layer of slush under the snow. I'm sure there are big puddles too. But I'm sure the ice is still solid, for now.

Cracks form all the time. It still floats.

Looks like an average weather week coming up.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote