View Single Post
Old 08-20-2023, 02:32 AM   #31
ApS

Question If Not NOW--When?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_Hobbs View Post
Is this whole thing a solution in search of a problem? While the intersection in question can be tough if you are making a left onto S. Main, isn’t it maybe a minute or two max, and that’s only at certain times of the day. Have there been a lot of accidents?
If you're first in line, it's not particularly long at all: But traffic eventually backs down the hill behind you (to Dunkin'), so you're given two choices to get home--a left past Dunkin', or a right past Irving--to try to merge into the same traffic again.

Every logging truck guarantees a major backup to Wolfeboro Falls' two shopping centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
Well, then there is the issue of the 9 (mostly), blind crosswalks in town. Even is there is nobody there you have to basically stop at each one to make sure someone isn't going to pop out between parked cars. I mostly go down Friend street and around Back Bay to Crescent Lake Ave. That isn't great for the neighborhoods through that route.
Pedestrians "popping out" wasn't a problem before SUVs and oversized pickup trucks.

The Town forced the widening of Friend Street, which created a relentless stream of traffic through those residences.

ETA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Really? First it was "oversized" boats and now it is "SUV's and oversized" pickup trucks. What would make you happy? If everyone drove a Prius and did their boating in a canoe or a 14 foot Whaler? What would you say to the contractors who need the pickup truck to carry tools to do their job or the landscapers who need a full sized pickup to carry their equipment or pull a trailer? What about the families with a couple of kids and a dog who use their SUV because it is big enough to carry what they need to go on vacation? What would you say to the hundreds of families who enjoy the lake and sleep on their boat in a marina? In your world, do they not belong here?
i was boating on Winnipesaukee before there were Whalers...

I like how Europe does it--and they have children and dogs.

I didn't like that some streets were so narrow, I couldn't drive my rental Porsche 911 through them! Germany has regular trucks that have four-wheel steering on the four front wheels! Those trucks still manage most streets, off-roads, and arteries.

Rental 911 Porsches are cheap in Germany. You can even rent a 7-mile race track at Nürburgring, but you'll be sharing your rental car with hot motorcycles, 911 GT3s, and the occasional tour bus. I've spent two weeks, total, in "friendly competition" at Nürburgring.

"Looped 'shorts'":

https://youtube.com/shorts/rCygTl15zz8?feature=share

I searched a Ford dealer's used-car lot for a good Ranger pickup (in white). Of the dozen on the lot, none had doors or hoods that lined up. All must have been in a fleet, perhaps pizza delivery.

"Do you have something else" I asked. "Yes, we have this little Japanese pickup, but it's a dark color". So I bought it anyway. Twenty-five MPG and 190,000 miles later, it's still putting money in my wallet! BTW: This was in 1995... In two years, it'll be eligible for Florida's Antique plate!

Prior to that pickup, I managed with a 1971 VW Bus Westphalia Camper--which I still have. (Either will carry a dishwasher). Should my present truck fail me, I'll probably buy another used 1991 BMW--the most rewarding of all the 45 vehicles I've owned and restored. (The BMW? About $16,000, and still going up!)

My point being, even the VW would hide a pedestrian in a Wolfeboro crosswalk. (Hence, the "popping-out" issue mentioned earler by jazzman). So, some spaces should be reserved for small vehicles. In Florida, that includes golf carts!

The speed limit through downtown Wolfeboro is 30-MPH, and no one should try it on a summer's day.

Any police chase through Wolfeboro would've been memorable!

Last edited by ApS; 08-23-2023 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Moved later post here to get back on topic...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote