Thread: Water driveways
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 03:00 PM   #33
Merrymeeting

In almost all examples, what comes across over and over is the need for courtesy and common sense.

Many of us, me included, are both landowner and boater. I've seen and experienced both sides. I enjoy a good raft party or anchor spot as much as the next guy. It's one of the reasons I live on the lake. I enjoy talking to the fishermen who float by, or the kyakers who greet me while I'm having my morning coffee. Or greeting others as I row by them.

I do get upset with the ones who feel the need to cast within a foot (or closer!) to my moored, canvas-covered boat, or the ones who think that their music should be enjoyed by everyone within a 3 mile radius.

But, let's forget about the issue of landowner vs boater for a minute. Imagine we are all in the public park (or water as the case may be). You and your family have just set up your picnic and are enjoying a nice sunny day in the park. Enter the Nocommonsense family, who proceed to setup their party less than 5' from where you are enjoying your family. They unload the boom box, let the kids run wild over your blanket, and proceed to ruin your previously enjoyable day.

I'd suggest that the issue is the same in this scenario. It has nothing to do with landowners vs boaters. It's about common sense, courtesy, and respect.

Most landowners and boaters I know enjoy the company and interaction with the others, as long as that respect and common sense prevails. But if you've ruined my picnic by being inconsiderate, I'm going to want to do something about it, whether we're both on private or public land.

Last edited by Merrymeeting; 06-04-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote