Thread: Infrared heat
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2022, 06:01 AM   #26
ApS

Red face Oopsy on Radiant vs Infrared

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
I have to caution you against getting nonchalant about oil-filled space heaters (the upright radiator type). I had three of these. Over time, two of them began to split at the seams and leaked oil, ruining a wood floor. The third one almost burned down my house. I left it turned off but plugged in. It caused a short circuit at the wall outlet. Sparks were shooting out of the wall. Fortunately I was in the room when it happened. I believe these were De Longhis.

I really liked these heaters at first, but they all gave out after a couple of years. I found many complaints online about the safety of these units. Info found online:

"Fires occur when the oil leaks or is accidentally spilled from the crack into the floor. This oil can not only ruin porous surfaces, it can also catch fire if it’s close to heating element, resulting in dangerous fire."

Re recall of Sunbeam heaters from the Consumer Product Safety Commission: "The firm has received approximately 40 reports of units that unexpectedly sprayed heated oil, resulting in reports of property damage involving damaged carpet and fabrics."

"Underwriters Laboratories (UL) found that oil heaters filled with unsuitable oil, such as oil with a low flash point, can present a risk of fire."

"King of Fans Inc. has received 81 reports of incidents involving leaking oil. Two minor burns were reported, along with two reports of falls in the oil."

Holmes recall: "A poor electrical connection within the heater can lead to overheating. This poses fire and thermal burn hazards."

Etc. Please be careful. I wouldn't sleep with these running at night.
An engineer friend has several De Longhis. He says the originals from Italy were quality-made; however, they've since been "outsourced".

BTW: I'd conflated two heating terms:
https://householdair.com/infrared-vs-radiant-heat/
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote