View Single Post
Old 12-14-2020, 01:54 PM   #13
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

So everyone has had some insight here. There are somethings that you need to consider before mounting the charge to dispute your claim that your property tax evaluation is to high.

1. and foremost, how much higher do you think the evaluation really is?
2. What is the main contributor to the evaluation of your property? (i.e. land value or building value)
3. Do you have a reasonable comparison for the land value?
4. Do you have a reasonable comparison for the building value?
5. If you can when the battle how much do you believe you can save per year?

I researched the idea of doing this a few years back, and gave it serious consideration. The outcome was that I didn't bother, because even if I had fought and won, I would really have only saved myself a few hundred dollars a year.

What was my argument? It was going to be that my land value was to high.... When I compared structures I found that my camp was comparable priced to others. And while the land was comparably priced as well, do to the shape of the lot, developing the property was not as easy, and thus my argument would have been that the lot shape and size restricted structure size. Thus my lot was not as valuable as the lots of my neighbors which where the same size.

Long story short after talking to a few people, what I found is that in some area's the size of a structure you can build doesn't mater, because you can always build up.

The point I am trying to make here, is you may have reasoning that make sense to you as to why your property is over valued. But other people may and will have counter arguments to that, in the end is it really going to be worth the hassle.