View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 10:36 AM   #5
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-to-NH View Post
Hi folks:

So I will try to make a long story short. A year ago I got a love note on my door that the town was re-assessing my part of town and to call them for a property evaluation. So I called them and the assessor came in with a tape measure and a mission! i found out later that you are in no way obligated to let them in, and it's a shame that the "Demand" looking letter they leave does not inform you of your true rights. Anyway, lesson number 1 is that you don't need to let them in (who knows, maybe I am the only person on earth who didn't know!).

Be that as it may, given my error on Lesson number 1 and there being nothing to do about it, I read on the town site the steps needed to challenge an over-assessment. IT ways to call the Assessor and get information on the "how". I got the assessor and basically got three answers - (1) The answer that is so evasive that it doesn't answer your question at all, (2) the answer that is a half-answer, with caveats that are in what you read but not what is said, and (3) answers to a question, but not the question you asked.

So at this time I am thinking my only option is to look into law firms that will do this for you. I already have 7 "comparable" homes that convince me that my house is over-assessed, but the process of a challenge is very regimented with a lot of requirements and procedural trip-ups, and without help from the Assessor that is going to be "on the other side" of the argument, I am clearly not getting enough info to feel comfortable doing this myself. I know they take a proceed of the benefit they get - but I think it's just for the first year savings, and I am willing to pay this to get it done the first time and get it done right.

So now, does anyone have the name of a firm or "single-shingle" lawyer that does this work????

And before you ask, I am not interested in identification of the town, the assessor, etc... I don't want to bad-mouth anyone, I just want to get a fair-value assessment on my home so I can afford to say here!!!!!

I don't think you need to hire a lawyer but what you do need is an appraisal done by a professional and that will hold some weight in making your argument to augment the research you have already done. What this comes down to and in case you didn't notice in the way your questions were answered - this is a matter of opinion and the opinion of whoever is coming up with these numbers for the town is right and how dare you question their numbers, methods or findings. The town of course will listen to you ramble on but doesn't really care about what you think and unless you are armed with sufficiently credible contradictory evidence you're wasting your time.

If you don't like what the town does you can always appeal it to the state as well, but their decision may or may not be favorable to you and the decision they make is final.

Good luck the towns make this process difficult for a reason... so people will just give up and pay. The sad reality is many do, or are in a financial position where they don't care.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links