View Single Post
Old 09-30-2019, 04:09 PM   #12
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
Thanks for all your help with a motor that was destined for a salvage yard. I bought carb kits for 3 double carburetors, dismantled them, soaked them in a gallon cleaner kit from Advanced Auto, put it all back together having help from pics I took. I changed the primer solonoid and I used fresh gas and evinrude 2 stroke oil. For the first time since I owned this boat it started on the first turn of the key. I didn't have time to do another compression test but I will.
However, once it started after using the primer bulb, it would stall after running for a minute. I would prime, start, run til it stalled continuously. Next questions or advice: Should I change the vro pump which mixes the fuel and oil? It's not a cheap part but i don't know if there is anything else I should troubleshoot or test first. it has all new fuel lines and fuel filter.
Thanks again
I suspect the VRO/Fuel pump might be bad based on your description, BUT low compression on the cylinder that provides the pulses to operate the pump may be the real problem. Check compression again very carefully before spending any money on the pump.

Good info on VRO here: http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post: