Thread: 2024 Boat Reg
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2023, 01:34 PM   #16
Breakwater

Default Registration Facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
1. They're trying to get money in sooner so the treasurer can earn interest
2. They want to encourage you to register with the state so your local town doesn't get any of the fees, it all goes to the state.

At least, that's what I'd do.
The DMV is mailing 2024 renewals 3000 per day to last year's registration holders. The state and town locations have all been sent their 2024 decals and should be prepared to renew at this time.

Non-state locations are allowed to charge an additional $5.00 agent fee. This fee remains with the town or marina owner for their service.

The registration fees (set fees for every boat with few exceptions) found in RSA 270-E:5 are returned to the state and dispersed to the various agencies (including Marine Patrol) as required by law.

The boat fees found in RSA 72-A (vary based upon boat type/age/length/engine) are retained by the state and go to the Marine Patrol's Navigation Safety Fund when the person registers at the DMV, Marine Patrol, or through the mail.

The boat fees are retained by the town when the renewal occurs at the town hall or marina within that town.

While some towns use the revenues to provide boaters with various services (parking, docking, aquatic invasive treatments, etc), many simply direct the dollars to their general fund for any purpose they choose.

As a boater, I prefer my fees go to buoys and patrol coverage on the water rather than another pickleball court in Hudson!
Breakwater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Breakwater For This Useful Post: