View Single Post
Old 06-28-2021, 09:18 PM   #1
chasedawg

Default Storm... the kids are in danger

I love the sound of the kids having fun on the first day of summer camp. Great to see them back again with their sailboats out and the Summer sounds.

BUT.... what we witnessed today is unacceptable!

Today there were storm warnings with possible lightening strikes on most weather apps. This morning I hate to say the name Camp Belknap had their first sailing class go out even though a storm was approaching. These are sailfish type sailboats. Love seeing them and when I go out we sometimes race them. But for some reason we see this happen often. They are sent out when there are oncoming storms. It has happened over several years. Where is the Waterfront Director? Who is in charge of the campers safety?

But this evening was the worst of carelessness for the safety of the Camp Belknap campers we have ever witnessed. We want for a ride to cool off. As we passed the camp their were two of their sailboats that have two masts and can be rowed with 8/10 kids on board or sailed. Great boat because it can be sailed or just rowed with that many kids. We saw them and cruised bye waving as they rowed out to Melvin Island.

We get out to the broads and taking pictures of the oncoming storm. Checking our weather app we knew we had about 30 minutes to get back to our dock, No problem. As we come by Melvin Island we see these same Camp Belknap sailboats with 20 campers on board. There is no way they can get back to Camp Belknap before the storm hits. Lightening striking everywhere with gusts. Waves were huge. They were in the middle of a significant storm that had been broadcast over many channels and apps.

Our neighbors starting calling us in panic seeing the kids in danger. The lightening was striking all around them. The Marine Patrol was alerted. The Tuftonboro fire Department boat went out looking for them almost immediately. They missed their location. Tuftonboro fire department and Marine patrol eventually found them. And all were saved. There are pictures of the whole event.

But I hate to say this because Camp Belknap has gotten some bad reviews over the last two years. There is something wrong what is going on with keeping the kids safe from events like this.

Who should be responsible for their safety? Why does this happen so many times? Someone must be accountable... Is the Camp Belknap directors and board members even know what is going on? It certainly doesn't look good for them.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post: