View Single Post
Old 02-03-2022, 08:41 AM   #55
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riviera View Post
A mini split “is” an air source heat pump. The only difference is that the newer “mini split” heat pumps are inverter driven, allowing them to operate at lower outdoor temperatures, and somewhat higher efficiencies. Both will heat slower than a fossil fuel heat source, because they are moving heat, not creating heat. Note that older/traditional heat pumps will not operate in New England winter weather, so you need an alternative heating source.

Further, the wall units typically associated with mini splits are only one option. My units are all concealed and ducted. They are invisible but for the supply and return registers that are typically seen on conventional forced air heating/cooling systems.

My opinion is that the modern inverter driven heat pumps will soon become the dominant HVAC systems for nearly all buildings. They are relatively simple to install, use very little space, are efficient, and do not burn fossil fuels. (Aside from whatever fossil fuels the electrical supplier might use to create electricity). They still have a few shortcomings, but they are are right there with electric vehicles in terms of technological advancements, and public acceptance. Almost every major HVAC manufacturer (Carrier, Trane, Lennox, etc) has a line of inverter driven heat pump systems. I think its only a matter of time.
The one mini split I have heats way faster than any oil burner forced hot water.
The forced hot air system I have in MA has 0dB outdoors my mini split and Inverter Based HVAC has some sound outdoors and is not zero. They are good but they are not zero and and agree around the lake it would not be good. Especially in areas that cottages are packed close together and not much foliage. Sorry, you will hear them.

Natural gas heating systems, even my 50 year old one I replaced never “vibrated”. Only oil burners “vibrate”. But it’s only heard indoors. I never heard a neighbors heating system. I don’t care in the burbs but I do if I was on the lake.

All air sourced heat pumps need backup in new England. It’s even common for the Geothermal to keep system size a manageable cost.

All cost aside Geothermal forced hot air is the best of all. But really expensive. And over life time pay back over air sourced heat pump.

With savings of mini split over geothermal, the difference would pay for a solar system.

Does anyone know if air sourced heat pumps (forced hot air) and mini splits qualify for the same 26% tax credit as Geothermal.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote