View Single Post
Old 02-02-2022, 08:20 PM   #51
Riviera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
One other consideration is a straight air sourced heat pump. The external unit is the same as a mini split and as efficient but is like a conventional forced hot air system in the house. So no ugly head units. The system I have in MA force hot air. You can’t hear it 1 ft away from the vents. Just constant very low flow warm air. Because fan is way down in the main unit and not turning very fast once up to temp.
A mini split “is” an air source heat pump. The only difference is that the newer “mini split” heat pumps are inverter driven, allowing them to operate at lower outdoor temperatures, and somewhat higher efficiencies. Both will heat slower than a fossil fuel heat source, because they are moving heat, not creating heat. Note that older/traditional heat pumps will not operate in New England winter weather, so you need an alternative heating source.

Further, the wall units typically associated with mini splits are only one option. My units are all concealed and ducted. They are invisible but for the supply and return registers that are typically seen on conventional forced air heating/cooling systems.

My opinion is that the modern inverter driven heat pumps will soon become the dominant HVAC systems for nearly all buildings. They are relatively simple to install, use very little space, are efficient, and do not burn fossil fuels. (Aside from whatever fossil fuels the electrical supplier might use to create electricity). They still have a few shortcomings, but they are are right there with electric vehicles in terms of technological advancements, and public acceptance. Almost every major HVAC manufacturer (Carrier, Trane, Lennox, etc) has a line of inverter driven heat pump systems. I think its only a matter of time.
Riviera is offline   Reply With Quote