View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 01:49 PM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Here's a question for cars with 5-speed manual transmission and a clutch pedal.

How will the remote starter know if the manual transmission is in neutral, or in a gear when it goes to start it up?
There's a fail-safe built into the remote start system, though many installers just simply won't install them because of the increased risk.

Funny story: some years back, I worked for an electronic store slinging high-fi. One of the mobile salespeople went out to grab a customer's car to bring into the shop for an audio upgrade. When he went to the lot, however, the car was nowhere to be found. While searching, the salesman heard a bit of screeching and the crunch of metal. Seeking out the source of the horrible noise, he noticed a car slamming against a wall...apparently driverless.

The customer had installed a remote start on a 5-speed without the fail-safe, and, after the salesman had remotely started it, the car drove itself into a convenient store's concrete wall...repeatedly...as remote starts will continue to try to start if programmed as such. One of my favorites from that other life.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote