View Single Post
Old 07-19-2021, 09:42 AM   #6
NH.Solar

How big a lot is it? and if over ten acres is it all in current use? Taking property out of current use can be very expensive, 10% x ad valorum (average recent selling price of a buildable lot). So if you buy 12 acres of current use land and wish to take just one out to build on, and the average selling price for a one acre lot in your town is $100,000, you will need to pay $10K as the current use penalty.
I'd also suggest being very aware of any existing or proposed 501c3 developments as they adversely affect the town tax rate. In New Hampton for example two of the larger land owners are the State of NH and New Hampton school, and neither contribute to the towns tax revenue, but both add a fair amount of expense.
I was told by my last well installer that the push of the glaciers can have some bearing on well depth. As the glaciers pushed down from the northwest they would scrape till from the NW slopes of the hills and drop quite a bit on the SE downsides. So if you are going to be on the NW slope of a hill your well might prove be much shallower than your neighbors on the other side of the hill. Makes sense to me because my lot has a southwest slope and my well needed 170 feet of expensive casing before the bit hit solid granite. My neighbor only a few hundred feet away across a ravine and on a NW slope hit ledge almost immediately and only needed a 60 foot well as opposed to my 270 foot well.