View Single Post
Old 07-10-2022, 06:32 AM   #32
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
I bought a single-stage electric with awareness of its drawbacks and thought through ways around those. One is to go out two or more times during a storm (every 6"-8"), which is easier with a lightweight electric snowblower. Another trick that I use is to clear the snow from your property side of the road for about 20 feet so that the plow doesn't have much to push into your driveway. This works great!

I didn't have good luck with my gas single-stage. I expect the electric snowblower to be much easier to start and operate. Ease of operation offsets the lower power in my opinion. A strong gas engine isn't much use if it won't start. A lot of property owners don't have the skill or patience to deal with a temperamental gas engine. In fact I read that most people never change the oil in their gas lawnmower.
A lot of the Ego electric snowblower reviews capture what you've said here, which is that you need to finagle the job to get the batteries to make it through. Specifically, doing half the job at a time or twice as often or taking half swaths or using low and high power selectively to conserve as best as possible.

I'll be interested to see how your machine performs, but I'm weirded out by the idea of buying something that you immediately have to "figure out" rather than just going out and doing the job...and that's when the batteries are at their absolute maximum performance.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk