View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 05:03 AM   #4
Tadpole

Default Thundershirt and conditioning

There is something called a Thundershirt - http://www.thundershirt.com/ - that many people swear by. The company offers a money-back guarantee, so it might be worth a try. You may be able to find it in pet stores or you can purchase on-line. Also, along the same lines of ishoot's idea, you can try conditioning. I don't know as I would go the route of shooting off a pistol during meal time though. I would be concerned that if not done correctly, it would have the opposite effect: make the pup think eating time is a bad thing. But what I have heard works is this: make a recording of loud noises - fireworks, thunder, etc. Play this at an EXTREMELY LOW volume (so you can barely hear it) as often as possible. And I do mean low. A dog's hearing is something like ten times better than a human's. VERY gradually - again VERY - increase the volume, little by little, over a period of time. This can take months. The theory is that the dog will become used to the sounds and not freak.

Good luck with your baby. I have a big old guy that is afraid of thunder and fireworks too, so I feel your pain.

Last edited by Tadpole; 07-11-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote