View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Try This

Quote:
Originally Posted by eillac@dow View Post
Each year...my husband I typically buy some fireworks. Not a whole lot, but some...the kids like it. 3 yrs ago we got a puppy. Year 1 he was fine with them, Year 2 he was really nervous...Year 3, this year, we did not head North till Sat am. But the night before (Friday) a neighbor came by and said, Hey I got this "one" firework...if you want to take it North. We decided to light it off then.

My poor baby boy (Hunter...3 yr old German Shorthaired Pointer) was scared to death. He went up to our bed and was shaking. We said then "no way to buying fireworks" as he was so scared.

In NH, we got a prescrip from a vet for a relaxer (we did talk to our own vet at home, who basically said...a nice dark, quiet room)...we gave it to him and it helped a bit, as he did not shake but panted and was restless.

Problem is now, he is so frighten with loud noises. He never did like them, but now is is scared to death. Even the next morning he does not like to go outside to do his business. I have to coax him out.

Anyone experience anything like this? Any recommendations on how I am to make him feel better. Today is July 10th and the poor baby is still skittish. Every now and then someone sets off a firework and it throws him into a tizzy. Breaks my heart. So if anyone has any advice or recommendations I would sure appreciate it.

Thank you.

Eliiac (allie c)

I have a way I think you may be able to break him of being scared. I have trained many hunting dogs not to be gun shy using this same method very successfully.

Go buy yourself a starter pistol and blanks. Cost will be around $30.00

Every day at feeding time and while he is eating, shoot the starter pistol off. Starting off one time in a far away room and close the door if necessary. The idea is not to startle him at first but to let him barely hear it while he is eating. Every day do the same thing but move a foot or two closer. It also good to have someone watch him to see how startled he gets and don't move closer until he gets comfortable with the distance. It may take time depending on how gun shy he is but eventually you should be able to fire the blank pistol in the same room. He will then associate loud noises with feeding which is a happy time for him.

Good luck!

Dan

P.S. Wear ear plugs when doing this. Your pup should be O.K. as he will not be as close to the starter pistol as you are.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post: