View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #46
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default ADA of 1990

Did you know the act was initiated by a Vietnam vet that had difficulty getting around not only because of available disability access but because of the inability to get the govt and business attention to his plight? Watch the movie 'Music Within', it is very touching.

If someone with a disability file a complaint with the DOJ, the municipality or business must respond and provide access for the disabled. That is what happen to Wolfeboro. After looking over the provisions of the ADA, it does not clearly spell out what to be done dockside, but the town must have access available. The way I see it they should designate 30' of dockspace for the disabled with a lift. Wolfeboro designated too much dockspace and no lift. Someone can and probably will file another complaint.

Glendale did not designate part of the dock for disability access, but they do provide a lift. The lift been there for several years and it looks like not designating dock space is an issue. Something to think about.

I reach out to business and govt when I get a complaint regarding the use of NH TRS (Telecommunication Relay Service). The DOJ will give the entity a chance to accept relay calls or suffer serious penalties. If you would like more information on telecommunication access for the Deaf, hard of hearing, Deaf-Blind, or speech impaired individuals, don't hesitate to give me a call at 224-1850 x206 or email: relaynh@ndhhs.org