Thread: Road posting
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I am very familiar with that, I must have read it a hundred times in the past. But there are a lot of other RSA that towns use when they want to, to do what they want. A while ago I was very involved with a group of truckers in Wolfeboro called HAUL which stood for haulers against unfair limits. The town of Wolfeboro in particular was really awful at that time about allowing business to be done. We met with the Wolfeboro selectmen who eventually, after turnouts of huge groups of truckers, relaxed their posture. In fact, for a while they didn't post roads at all, but when Dave Ford came back to town he started posting again. He does allow a trip early in the morning though in most cases, but that really hurts people who need to make more than one trip a day. But you know the funny thing, for the years when they didn't post, the roads weren't any worse.

It also hurts the homeowners who need the trucks to come in and deliver.

Laconia was one of the more reasonable towns in allowing a trip, Alton was tough, Tuftonboro was tough,Meredith was the worst, Jackson was bad.

We went to many hearings in Concord trying to work something out so that businesses that involved would not be so hurt by this. At the last couple of meetings a lobbyist from Gilmanton ( if I remember right, he was with the Homebuilders Assn.) joined us and said that he really didn't know much about the road posting because he lived in Gilmanton and he didn't know of a problem there. He suggested a new law which most of us didn't like and were kind of disappointed with. It was kind of discouraging after we had spent around a year going to Concord. Anyway, the law which came about after our meetings said something like: a trucker has 15 days to request a hearing from a town to say why the road needs to be posted and basically if the town doesn't do it , the road can be used. I guess the best that could happen is the truckers could drive the towns crazy with hearings.

Maybe you are aware of all of this.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post: