View Single Post
Old 11-23-2022, 04:36 AM   #19
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
To clarify, the damper on my stove controls air coming into the firebox. A damper on the stove pipe controls the amount of heat exiting the stove. Correct? So why don't I need a damper on the stove pipe? Wouldn't it control wood consumption better and prevent heat from escaping up the pipe?
1. No more air can escape up the chimney than enters the stove.

2. The flue damper has zero effect on the combustion process in the firebox, which is the whole point of air control. If too much heat is escaping up the flue it's because the user is not maximizing the secondary burn system of the stove.

3. Flue dampers were designed for open fireplaces, where there was just a simple fire and the damper would (hope to) retain as much heat as possible without getting too smoky. Remember that fireplaces are net loss heaters and homes that were designed to use fireplaces exclusively had severe limits to interior temperatures. When looking at early American homes, you'll see that people shared beds and rooms, often sleeping in the attic where the chimney passes through as that was the warmest part of the home. There's a reason Ebenezer Scrooge wears so many robes and a hat in a bed surrounded by heavy curtains.

The point in all this is that new(er) wood stoves are designed to maximize the burning process and anything outside the stove itself is negligible other than just letting the smoke—which, if the stove is working properly, shouldn't even exist—escape.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote