Thread: New to Boating
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 11:49 AM   #52
sum-r breeze

Default That sounds like me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Most boat dealers have the "if you buy a boat from us, we will get you a slip" policy. Obviously they don't want to lose a boat sale, just because you're worried about finding a slip. There were times when finding a slip was pretty hard.

While the economy is weak, and boat slips are easier to find, some boat dealers will rent to anyone. It should go without saying that these dealers will favor their boat customers on future rentals. They may rent you a slip this season but next year rent it to a boat customer.

I know one couple who had a slip at dealer "A", and mid-season they bought a boat from dealer "B" and put it in the slip at dealer "A". He was incensed and threw them out. So use common sense, a boat dealer sees his slips as tools to sell boats. Usually a marina not connect to a dealer is free of these worries.
Dealer "B" (IRWIN) with me got way ahead of the curve and offered me the slip along with the sale of said boat. It really sweetened the deal and the next season, when we wanted to get into MVYC (slips were at a premium that year) they called me with a list of options for slips near all of our friends there. You can probably guess who got the next purchase from me after that bit of customer service. So weigh the benefits of the extra expense of buying AT the lake. The dealers will be much more receptive to your requests if you are supporting them with your boat buying dollars. I can see their side completely, they tend to take care of the people who are taking care of them.

Good Luck
The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back

Last edited by sum-r breeze; 03-24-2014 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Word change
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote