Thread: New to Boating
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
Descant

Thanked 1,521 Times in 985 Posts
Default Consider a pro surveyor

If you buy from a dealer and he owns the boat, he may offer some sort of warranty. If he's a broker or you're buying privately, a licensed surveyor can be worth a lot of money to you. My last purchase, a 30 footer, the survey took about six hours including a sea trial and pulling the boat out of the water to inspect bottom and running gear. I used the survey to negotiate some work to be done by the seller, and paid a small fee to have the surveyor come back and reinspect. He also pointed out several items for future preventive work that we did this winter, and gave an estimate of fair market value. Many insurance companies will want a survey after you reach a certain size/age/value. As you might surmise, I was very happy with my surveyor, Bob Gallagher. I talked to a few; they specialize. Although he's from MA, he loves to come to Winnipesaukee. gallaghermarinesurveyors.com

If you rent or buy a slip, check out the policies of the condo/owner/landlord regarding who is available or allowed on the property to work on your boat.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote