View Single Post
Old 06-02-2023, 03:36 PM   #477
mishman

Default A more modest proposal could have won

I agree with Cal to NH - a more scaled down proposal could have carried the day - especially with a reduced threshold of 60% vs. the previous 66%. In an attempt to provide all things to each constituent group, the project grew beyond what the majority of voters could stomach. Most everyone agrees the Lion's Club building needs replacement. And if the Town cares to make sure our kids can learn to swim (as was stated in the proposal for the pool), why not redouble our efforts to teach swimming in the summer time at the Town Beach?
I am sorry if the HUB proponents felt disparaged by the opponents. They put a lot of thought and effort into their proposal and should be recognized for their work. It will be interesting to see if they "read the room" and scale down a future proposal to better meet the most compelling need of replacing the Lion's Club. I guess time will tell. If they persist in bringing back a larger proposal, I fear townspeople will really dig their heels in again with another strong no vote.