Thread: Laconia and pot
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 02:42 AM   #21
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

What makes me scratch my head, leaving aside the social implications of legalization (which appear to be completely ignored) is simply this. With all the moaning about 2nd hand smoke, the evil big tobacco companies that are being harassed for killing people and all these new trendy "no tobacco" zones, why is there such a big push to legalize pot? I find it so ironic or maybe better put hypocritical of those who loathe cigarette smokers but embrace pot as if it's a perfectly fine and healthy thing to do. I suppose as long as it's all natural "free range" pot well heck it's all good. Doesn't this make anyone scratch their head and wonder exactly what is behind all this?

The bottom line to this as far as I'm concerned is that pot is a controlled substance and in many cases has been suggested is a gateway drug to the more hardcore stuff. While yes some argue that it can be used for medicinal purposes, and I suppose that may very well be true, so are some opiates yet those are legal by prescription only. I fear that we as a society are normalizing more and more activity and substances in an effort to somehow gloss over the negative effects, in other words as long as everyone believes the hype it must be true. However to maintain an orderly and productive society how can we possibly expect this to occur when these types of things are allowed to occur and in many cases, such as in Colorado when it made pot legal, romanticized. That is a great example for the youth in this country today now isn't it?

I just happen to be of the mind set there are enough things that are legal which one can indulge in and get into plenty of trouble without adding more options. Plus I don't care so much about what all these studies may say, there is no one who can predict the long term affects of what legalization will do. However there are plenty of other things alcohol being one of them that can give us all a glimpse as to the possibilities. That in and of itself should give us all pause. I know may not be a hip or politically correct thing to say, hell may even be considered "old fashioned" but it's my opinion and I guess that I am entitled to!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post: