View Single Post
Old 03-27-2023, 10:01 AM   #10
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
And so it continues. The case started in court in 2012 and continues on. The subject property is the first one on the mainland side just north of the Governor's Island bridge.

To me, it seems that the Governor's Island Club should have nothing to do with a property that is not on the island, but the way it is set up that is not the case.
The issue seems to be that a previous owner opted into the GIA, and the related deed restrictions associated with it.

Now that the property is a part of the GIA, they are legally obligated to hold the property to the deed restrictions outlined. Failure to do so creates an opening for other GIA residents to claim precedent for the association not upholding their bylaws and declarations, thus allowing them to ignore building restrictions and construct whatever they like. I am pretty sure this is the last thing that the GIA would want to deal with, as it would just create an utter free for all on the island.

I don't know any of the parties involved, or any of the history of this, but for the most part the GIA is likely acting out of a requirement here, not just some kind of petty HOA drama.

This is just based on my personal experience running a rather large HOA in Florida with a lot of residents that I refer to as "rich assholes" (but in a nice way). A tenure that is happily coming to an end soon