View Single Post
Old 12-09-2022, 07:51 AM   #177
longislander

Quote:
But your income is not ''fixed'' if it adjusts for inflation... the real world doesn't do that. Hence why real wages are down.
Quote:
Of course, for those who do not expect to use it periodically, especially if on a fixed income...
Most of us understood what was meant and in what context.

FlyingScot didn't say "fixed" but "fixed income".

Google "fixed income", or better yet Google "fixed income definition" and see what you get.

Here's Merriam Webster dictionary for"fixed income":
" having a uniform or relatively uniform annual income or yield
bonds and preferred stocks are fixed-income securities
inflation has its hardest impact on such fixed-income groups as people who have retired on social security"

Ya, ... I suspect you didn't mean investments ...google "fixed income" anyway and see.

You have no idea of my income, "fixed" as in "static" as I believe you intended.

"Adjustments to inflation" are varied. Those on Social Security just got a COLA. Ask many of them if their Soc Sec. income is still "fixed" relative to living expenses ... or actualy went down substanstially relative to inflation. Does "fixed" count if living expenses skyrocket?

The thread conversation was evolving about relative costs to a proposed town tax increase, not a literal definition of a word ... "fixed" ... but subject to interpretation.

Wages are not the same as income. Are wages down:

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/realer.nr0.htm

How about layoffs and bankruptcies?
The Following User Says Thank You to longislander For This Useful Post: