View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #35
Striper295

Quote:
Originally Posted by znh View Post
Just like with carpentry...'measure twice, cut once'...same goes for navigating Winni...check the map over and over to make sure you know where you are.

I've only been on the lake for a little over two years, we use the Bizer map and the app on my iPhone and I hit some rocks this past weekend near Welcome Island (not very welcoming), near Governors. Without going into great detail it was an honest mistake on my part but I should have payed even more attention when going some place new and obviously close to shore lines. By the time I realized where I actually was it was too late and we hit some rocks. Major prop damage and ended up taking a chunk out of the fiberglass, about $3500 in damage...thank goodness for insurance.

I saw someone above said the 'west side is easier then the east'...I disagree here. The east side of the lake is much more wide open and the west is lots of islands and much more hazards like The Witches and other shallow areas where you might not expect it. Granted each area of the lake has it's own hazards I do find staying West to be generally less tedious when it comes to constantly checking the map to know where you are.

Some other good advice given to us was. Plan a trip and make that same trip 3 or 4 times until you feel very comfortable with that route then plan a new trip and route and repeat. Seeing as we have the rest of our lives to enjoy the lake I will certainly be taking more time when planning our boat trips and learning the in's and out's of Winni.

On another note just about everyone I have talked to where we live has said they have at one point done the same things, either run aground or hit some rocks or something of the sort. Sure it makes me feel a bit better but it's a great reminder that this is a lake you absolutely have to pay attention to or it will bite you when you aren't looking.

Some other tips :

The Bizer map is great but at first you really have to pay attention, I found it hard to keep track of where we were as the lake moves by a lot faster in real life then it seems when following the map. I make sure to check my position with the numbered buoys on the lake and the ones on the map to make sure I am exactly where I think I am (and yet I still hit some rocks )

Get an extra prop for your boat, they are relatively cheap and very easy to replace if you need to. A damaged prop is not good for an engine and if you can avoid a tow by replacing your own prop it's worthwhile.

Want to get to know the lake....follow the Mount route, it is clearly marked on the Bizer map and will give you a full trip around the lake taking a known and marked route.

Be mindful of the weather. Winni has it's one weather system in my opinion and bad weather and wind can come up on you quickly and you really don't want to be caught up in it, it's a big lake and things can get kicked up pretty quickly.

With all that said it's a majestic and beautiful place that offers stunning scenery and joy. Being out in the boat with the kids and friends and exploring new places and going to all the different areas is creating a lifetime of wonderful memories and even though I crashed the boat I can't wait for it to be fixed so I can get right back out there
Great feedback, thank you!
I have to ask what was the scenario around Welcome Island so I'm ready for it. Are the rocks you hit marked?
Striper295 is offline   Reply With Quote