View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 04:48 PM   #60
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Sadly I think paying a premium for USA goods is a luxury not everyone can, or will, afford. It's the same thing with locally grown produce or locally raised meats; they cost more than what you buy at WalMart. And even, which I know is a controversial topic, paying a premium for clean energy - if polluting coal makes cheaper electricity than clean solar, not everyone can or will pay the higher price.
There's a big difference "can" and "will". If a person is struggling to get by, I'm happy for them to get a low price at WalMart. (Which, BTW, you may remember used to be heavily Made in the USA before becoming a major driver of jobs moving overseas).

But the "will" thing bothers me when those who can afford to pay more for locally sourced goods still place price as paramount. I think part of this is that WalMart, Amazon, and others have persuaded us that we are stupid or saps or getting ripped off if we shop anywhere else.

As others have noted, we are now paying the price for driving cost down as far as possible without concern for other important factors.