View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 09:49 AM   #48
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
People have mentioned a change in schools after this, but, as a teacher, I just don't see it. The biggest shift we may see is the possibility of remote learning to replace snow days, but even that I'm not convinced will happen.

There are many, many problems with online learning, which is why most institutions use it only as supplementary education if at all (college is, of course, where most of it happens).

Once the "daycare" and "homeschool" aspect is entered into the equation, it's an immediate no-go. The percent of parents that could be available/at home for or capable of supporting that type of education is very low.

Also, we know that the social aspect is essential. My students are really struggling with this.

Finally, most parents I know and connect with on town forums are going crazy trying to balance work and school. Because my wife and and I are teachers, we've been able to cut work to the essentials and provide "authentic" (pedagogical code word!) opportunities for learning: for example, my son is learning geometry and measurements, so guess who's laying out the fort we're building?!

Cheers, all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Plus, let's remember that it's not just relatively strong students from wealthy towns trying to learn at home. Kids who struggle academically in person (like the bottom 50%), struggle even more online. Kids who do not own computers or wifi are at a complete loss.

If your kid was on his way to BC or MIT, I'm sure he's fine with all this academically. But if your kid struggles with math or has a computer held together with band aids and string, this is cutting off his ability to have a chance at college or many careers. (That's not to say every good career requires college, only that every kid should have a chance to go)