View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 06:04 AM   #6
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Ok.....so, for 88-cents I got the little anti-freeze tester from Wal-Mart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Side note: I see Automotive places offering free tests for such things.... I am sure they have a catch, but if you know a little about your vehicle I am sure you can drive away with an answer.
I think I would follow Outdoorsman's advice on this. The 88 cent Walmart tester is probably not that accurate. It would be a shame if you spent any additional monies on something you did not need. The really cold weather is still a few months away, plenty of time to get some second opinions, price quotes, and maybe more accurate test results.

Personally I would just change the fluid and avoid anything advertised or marketed as a flush especially if the flush uses any kind of a chemical that is "supposed" to clean the inside of the engine but may damage the seals on the water pump unless you know or have been advised that it really really needs that service. Sometimes these (left behind/ residual) cleaning agents do more damage than good.

Modern cooling systems and the newer coolants have made the "old fashioned" coolant flush (that I always did years ago) somewhat a thing of the past.

My current personal experience.
1999 Chevy truck original owner with 310,000 miles. Original radiator, heater core and water pump. Coolant only changed once over the past 17 years without any other additives. Only occasionally topped-off with very very small amounts of 50-50 blend to account for evaporation.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post: