View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #20
baygo

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Sorry but I respectfully disagree with your point of view.

Girl Scout cookies don't make people fat or increase their comorbidities that come with obesity. Generally speaking, people overeating make themselves fat by overeating. (Yes, there's health issues that can contribute, such as a glad problem, but this is about food intake.)

So, are those people really victims? Or did they get in a habit of making poor choices for themselves? I think it's the latter of the two and this is where we differ in opinion. I am a big believer in people being (1) able to make their own choices - freedom, if you will and (2) people being accountable for their actions.

So skip the cookie if they're so bad, in your opinion, and if you want to support a good cause just make a contribution.

When you get down to it - Girl Scouts is a great cause and I wish I'd had girls so I could do it all over again! (Right now I do have a Wolf Cub Scout in my house and will a Bobcat Cub Scout in 2 more years when the youngest joins!) I learned quite a bit about how sales work and how to follow-up with people from selling cookies as a kid. It's not as simple as just knocking on a door and collecting money. Kudos to the girls for getting out there and raising money...
Don't appoligize for disagreeing

In a world where everyone is as intelligent as you and thatleslie are, perhaps an argument for people making there own choices would work. Unfortunately this world is populated by humans who only learn about the things they have interest in. A very high percentage of people are naive about food and how it effects them.

I have a relative who was literally a rocket scientist. It was a very grey day at the dinner table when we learned he had diabetes. His wife is very food conscious but he insisted that moderation would protect him. He never saw it coming.

If you had your choice to feed a child baby food tainted with a small trace of rat poison or food made fresh from your garden which would it be? What if you did not know the difference? Should we have someone watching over this?

It is our social responsibility to address this issue. The first step in healthcare reform starts at home with educating the young. Preventative maitainace. I hope you are not going to reply stating that we can rely on the politicians to fix it.

As for your point regarding the learning experience. imagine if the Scoutts baked the cookies themselves. In addition to all your great points, they would learn baking. They would learn about ingredients. They would learn a great deal more about business. They would not have to give 85% of the gross sales to a conglomerate. The imbalance in revenue sharing with Kellogg, rivals child labor abuse. You likely tip your bartender or waitperson more than 15% for simply delivering you food or a drink.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote