View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
Cal-to-NH

Default Older cemeteries with New England DEATH ANGELS

Hi folks: I have reviewed the posts from 2005 discussing cemeteries in the area - mostly referencing book resources. My question is much simpler as I have visitors coming out in April and they have asked - of all things - to see some real new England Death Angel style headstones. As I live in Moultonborough, I was hoping that I could find some between Meredith to Tuftonboro. The Town and Historical Websites don't help at all. I guess I am looking for the OLDEST cemeteries in the area. As I recall from Southern New England these headstones start in the late 1600s, evolve over an 80 - 100 year period from what are called "evil" death angels - basically skulls with wings, to "friendly" death angels with round, smiling faces with wings. They seem to be gone entirely as you near the 1800s. I remember driving through Center Harbor and I think I see some slate headstones that seem to be the right shape to have a death angel on top - near the gazebo. From the road they look pretty beat-up... I have found basically nothing from the town sites and doing a search on the forum has come up empty. I was hoping some of you long-timers could direct me to the right places? I am putting this in the "General Discussion" hoping I can get more hits than the "history" section... I know that the Lakes Region, as most of Northern New England, was settled much later than Southern New England, and I guess it's possible that cemeteries up here were after the "death angel" period but I was sure hoping we have some, even if they are only at the small "family" ones that are everywhere. Can anyone help?
Cal-to-NH is offline   Reply With Quote