View Single Post
Old 12-18-2022, 08:04 AM   #630
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
In #627 above, is this really candid, or posed? Where is the photographer standing?
Easy when the boat is at rest. I remember refueling in the water ski marathons, WOT, skier, driver and fuerer/observer. We knew ahead of time that we didn't have enough fuel to do the entire 60 mile route at WOT without extra fuel so it was a planned mid-air refuel, twice. For those involved in the races, this was 60 miles x 2. two days commemorating Cap'n Jack Goodhue's 60th birthday and 120 years in operation for Goodhue Boat Yard. Very rough both days, many DNF's.
No, not staged. But I wish it was.

The photographer was on his boat, taking pictures after he brought his lawnmower gas can to me. He lives on Scenic Drive in Gilford facing the Broads. The gauge still showed just under 1/4 full and I was headed to Mountain View to get gas.

Among other things wrong with that boat, I let out about 75 feet of anchor chain when the boat stopped and had to pull it back in by hand because the anchor windlass wasn't working. Line would have been much easier and lighter than all chain!

The boat, a Regal 2700 ES, was the worst boat I have ever operated. It looked great but the handling and mechanical end of things was terrible. It was impossible to keep it level, no matter what you did with the trim tabs and drive. It just rolled from side to side.

It had numerous electronic dashboard failures and it was delivered with a bad U joint in the drive that cause a vibration. Even a factory technician from Regal couldn't find the issue causing the vibration. It was not purchased locally but a Silver Sands mechanic found the problem and it was repaired under warranty.

Thankfully, that boat was sold a few years back.
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote