View Single Post
Old 05-26-2021, 07:43 PM   #13
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I'm not sure where MSWLOGO got a $500 quote. His boat must be a lot largert than mine.Last year I had Diamondshine do ceramic coating on my 1994 24' Sea Ray. Looks showroom new and I expect it to last 4 years (stored in valet) The marina washes it at the end of the season, but minimal charge since no chemicals, no scrubbing. I recall the price was $125/foot. Detailed inside and out as well, included.
$500 !!! I would have had them do it in a blink.

My boat was on the water the whole summer. Is your Valet shaded?

The place I asked, just didn't want to do the job which is why they quoted so high, I think they might have been even higher.

Be curious how the ceramic holds up. I ceramic coated my car, not sure it was worth it.

I removed the oxidation. Effectively you are removing the top layer of gel coat. That's the best way. Curious if they removed oxidation before they put on the ceramic. Ceramic is essentially good wax (good protection), but it does not solve the underlying problem. You protect it with wax or ceramic after you solve the problem.

I agree with folks, this is a job for an orbital with the CORRECT grit to remove the right amount of gel coat. If a boat looks "dull" it's almost guaranteed heavy oxidation.

OP said they were not lazy and sounded like they wanted to do it themselves. I guess not.

The "light oxidation" stuff would be to maintain it. Almost guarantee the light stuff won't touch it if it's years of oxidation and you'll get frustrated.

Picture would help.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote