View Single Post
Old 05-10-2020, 05:13 AM   #14
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

I understand where the OP is coming from, and I'm only 43. There's something very real about how much will not happen this year. I, and my senior students, are struggling with the lack of closure, the lost rites of passage, and the complete disconnect from friends and family. I totally understand where "reopen protestors" are coming from both emotionally and financially.

That being said, I learned a long time ago, when I first started teaching, that there is no "normal" year. Whether it's a series of bomb scares, mass shootings, new school moves, budget cuts, absurd governmental philosophy shifts, etc. there's always some disruption, and we move forward...making each opportunity the best it can be.

Like many of you, my family enjoys eating out, hiking, biking, spending time on the water, road trips, concerts, etc. Almost everything we love in summer is still possible...just redefined. Dining out means grabbing meatball subs from Jo Jo's and eating at a picnic table or on Boatie Two; hiking, biking, and road trips now mean exploring overlooked local gems; listening to music now means scouring YouTube for classic performances.

I listened to Mark Knopfler's A Night in London on my Bluetooth speaker last weekend while swinging with my wife by the fire—the kids were riding their bikes around camp as a gentle breeze ruffled the baby birch leaves. We had nowhere to go, and nothing to do. It was amazing.

It's all about perspective.

And at some point, CV-19 will give way to some other disruption...and we'll redefine life again.

Cheers, forum friend, and best wishes. I myself am stoked for a GREAT summer...once school has come to an end.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post: