View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #12
kkrauss

Default Kings Grant Inn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post

My parents Ralph and Margarete Krauss owned KGI from 1952-1978. We had two ski tows. The main tow covered the main slope known as "What Hill" and a slope through the woods known as "Cliff Trail" named after my brother. Tow two had two trails "Flicky's Folly" named after a family friend and "Kenny's Dip" named after me. In addition to this color brochure, My father actually too the resort public and had one of the first color IPOs. The resort had 100 acres of land full of Cross country ski and snow mobile trails. We also had a dock on dockham shore rd and owned two islands (Welcome Island and Isle of Pines) where we would take guests for picnics. There was a wooded toboggan run with a large octagonal warming hut with an oversize central fire pit. There was also a large observation hut adjacent to the ski slope with floor to ceiling windows and theater seating. The resort thrived until the early 70's when the "All Inclusive Resorts" fell out of favor for family vacations. My father solicited a large Puerto Rican and Dominican clientele. They filled up the resort from Christmas through February from 1973-1978. To increase revenues in the summer we developed a dinner theater with Medieval Nights every Friday and Saturday night. We hired college theater majors from across the country who lived at the hotel and worked a number of resort jobs including the evening entertainment which included bingo night, dance lessons, Las Vegas night, a movie theater. The resort was sold to Ann Moy and Bill Fitzmores in 1978. Ann and Bill had little interest in the Caribbean clients or the dinner theater and after several seasons they went bankrupt. After several seasons not running as a resort the property lost its fire code grandfathering and it was too expensive to bring it up to code. The lake property was sold off, the acreage was sold off and the property has been in decline since. Our family still owns "Isle of Pines" and we reside on Dockham Shore.
kkrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to kkrauss For This Useful Post: