View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #72
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post

I propose a STATEWIDE nightime limit of 30MPH with the caveat of Rule 6. I think 25 is too low a number and has adversely affected businesses and people. The limit of 30 gives you leeway to 30-35 MPH. Plenty fast for night trips to dinner and fireworks on the far side of the lake, yet slow enough to allow for safety. The NHMP will be able to utilize thier most senior and well trained officers (radar certified). This is the shift where your going to find the drunken boaters and traditionally when the worst (fatal) accidents occur. You want your best guys on a DWI stop so as to avoid any problems that could jeopardize the case in court.

I like the idea of a greater distance rule (Faster MPH = Greater distance from other boats), but enforceability would be a nightmare. People already disagree on how far 150' is. It would open up another can of worms.

Woodsy
Now this is why I like Woodsy, everytime I think I understand the man he throws something out there.... mandatory state wide speed limit at night....In some sense I see this as a good thing.... However brings me to a question....

Do people think it makes more sense to legislate a particular body of water or the whole state?

And Woodsy does bring up a good point, enforcability... I thought onlywinni, had a good idea... and I still think it has merit.... However Woodsy has a good point... enforcability becomes a real issue with a law like that....

On another note, I will say again..... I am seeing the "GFBL" boaters bring a lot to the comprimise table at this point.... and not seeing much in a comprimise tone from the SL lovers right now..... kind of disappionting if you ask me.... one side seems to be willing to sit down at the table but the other, not so much......