View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
I don't know if this will work on larger boats but on my 16ft, I power down completely when coming up to a NWZ. When the following wakes catches up and gives me a 'kick' I add a enough power for steerage purposes. This is usually enough that I don't have any wake crossing into the zone.

Since this reduces steerage ability it may not be prudent in congested conditions. In that case start to reduce speed further out and gradually.

Good luck!
I try to make a practice of slowing down well in front of NWZ's, depending on boat traffic and location. Always look behind you before coming to a sudden stop, not to mention telling your passengers if any are on board.

Some NWZ's are there for obvious reasons. Marinas, small coves, channels, things like that. There is a tendency to have the NWZ markers too close to whatever they are protecting, and a tendency for boaters to roar up to the NWZ marker, and Then slow down. (Yes, there is always the 150' rule to follow as well). This can defeat the purpose of the NWZ, by having monster wakes right up to and beyond the marker.

If everyone treated the shorefront and assorted docks in these areas as if they were their own, I'll bet they would slow down sooner. It would be nice if everyone slowed down to NWZ speed quicker, and spared us the monster wake as they plow along and gradually come to a stop. I usually slow to 6 mph or so a good half mile before my destination. That's because a mooring field where they put the larger sailboats extends well past the NWZ, and on weekends, most have dinghies tied up and are on their boats. I know all too well what it's like to be at anchor, and have those wakes come plowing in to you.

Last edited by VtSteve; 08-30-2011 at 12:59 PM.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links