View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #23
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Well can't blame a contractor for using products that are unknowingly problematic, a good example of that is the IKO shingle debacle from the late 90's where everyone was using them, they were at the time considered a premium product but they were fundamentally flawed thus leading to many premature failures and ultimately a class action law suit.

That said having previously worked in construction, roofing over is not best practice by any means and I have not heard of any shingle manufacturer that suggests this is a recommended solution. Can it be done, sure, but I wouldn't for a whole slew of reasons many previously mentioned. The GC I worked for would never do that because his reputation was on the line. Many however don't care will cut corners to hit a price point and obviously don't care about their client's well being. I'd betcha though none would do that on their own roof! Opinions on the subject obviously vary....

Far as those H clips go, I've only seen those used when the rafter spacing is such where they are required to prevent sheathing deflection under load. Far as I know there is little benefit to the spacing they introduce or better put not their intended purpose.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote