View Single Post
Old 04-25-2020, 06:00 AM   #19
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt5150 View Post
i agree, i really enjoy it. welding in particular, i love making and building stuff.

side note.. i think mounting the 1" tubing to the hardtop is going to be more challenging than i anticipated. the sides of the top aren't straight so there's going to be a bit of an angle i'll have to compensate for somehow. i'll attach another pic so you can see what i mean. i've been looking for stainless mounting brackets that may work, railing hardware, but i'm having difficulty finding something i think will work, but still be sturdy enough.

another thing i'm re-thinking is the length of the 1" "receivers" mounted to the hardtop. originally i was thinking of making them 24", which is about the length from where that "<" is in the middle of the top. i'm now wondering if 12" length mounts might be stronger, it would have more support in a shorter span/length. effectively, less of a fulcrum.

and yet another thought i had was instead of having the mounts horizontally, perhaps vertically mounting them could be an option too. i don't know.. i have too many ideas floating around in my head. i just need to spend some time with it in person to iron some of this out.

that project looks to be a bit more involved than mine! what is it?
I've probably got some straight 12" sections of SS tubing tubing you can have. My advice in the previous post about using HDPE was to essentially make solid plastic clamps in this style: view-source:https://theclampco.com/products/1-4-...3&currency=USD but with the bottom angle cut to fit the slope(s) of the hard top. Hold it down/clamp it with 1/4"-20 316SS flat head through bolts counter-sunk into the top. An 1/8" round-over on the exposed edges will make it look totally professional.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote