View Single Post
Old 04-24-2020, 07:47 AM   #16
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt5150 View Post
i agree, i really enjoy it. welding in particular, i love making and building stuff.

side note.. i think mounting the 1" tubing to the hardtop is going to be more challenging than i anticipated. the sides of the top aren't straight so there's going to be a bit of an angle i'll have to compensate for somehow. i'll attach another pic so you can see what i mean. i've been looking for stainless mounting brackets that may work, railing hardware, but i'm having difficulty finding something i think will work, but still be sturdy enough.

another thing i'm re-thinking is the length of the 1" "receivers" mounted to the hardtop. originally i was thinking of making them 24", which is about the length from where that "<" is in the middle of the top. i'm now wondering if 12" length mounts might be stronger, it would have more support in a shorter span/length. effectively, less of a fulcrum.

and yet another thought i had was instead of having the mounts horizontally, perhaps vertically mounting them could be an option too. i don't know.. i have too many ideas floating around in my head. i just need to spend some time with it in person to iron some of this out.

that project looks to be a bit more involved than mine! what is it?
If you have “angles” to deal with, washers/spacers/shims are your friend!
You can find all the above in SS or nylon.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote