View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 04:48 PM   #10
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt5150 View Post
off the top of my head, i'd need two short lengths of 1" at least 24" long. for 7/8", probably three 5ft. lengths would do.

the project is a hardtop overhang. the aft edge of my hardtop ends directly above my seats. any water on the roof ends up dripping down on the seats, and you if you're sitting in them. terrible design really.. so i want to make a removable extension to eliminate that problem and provide a little extra shade too.

my idea is this.. mount two 24"-ish lengths of 1" tubing horizontally to the outside edges of the hardtop, one on each side. think receiver hitch. then build the top extension itself consisting of a frame made out of the 7/8" tubing and a starboard surface on top. the 7/8" will slide into the 1" and mate up against the aft edge of the hardtop effectively extending it. i haven't come up with a good way to secure it place yet though. maybe a couple 2-piece latches, pins, or set-screws. but i'll figure that out when i get there.
You'd need it to be really straight for a telescopic design to work. The scrap I have is from a bow rail and has a gentle curve in it. Sorry, but I serioulsy doubt you could get it straight enough to use.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote