View Single Post
Old 08-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #33
Winnisquamer

Talking Ill stir the pot a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post

TOTALLY AGREE !!

Best way to learn and learn correctly -- not just "book rules" which is the fatal flaw of the Boating Certificate Program Nationally-- there's no real life, behind the wheel, experience!

I have had my granddaughter driving our 24' & 26' Bowriders since age 8-9 .... started with the classic "lap driving" simply steering, progressed age 11 to controlling the throttle and Grampa standing directly behind to over ride when necessary (and it was necessary) to her being 13 now and I can comfortably (relatively) sit in the forward passenger seat watch and verbally correct mistaken headings or decisions -- yet always ready to JUMP to the controls if necessary.

At this point, I am proud to say she has a tremendous grasp of the markers - utilizing the compass as her primary tool, yet also completely comfortable confirming against the GPS ..............Boat spacing, passing others with enough steerage, and maneuvering in relatively high traffic areas (which always keeps me on my toes - but I want to have her experience it and learn).......... it is amazing how kids want to learn & learn correctly !

Now if she could just dock the boat within the first 20 tries, we'd be golden ---- guess what the balance of the Season will be focused on!! Beware if you see a bowrider making 32 attempts to dock midweek at Weirs or Center Harbor Town docks

I don't really have an issue with any of it. Just have always thought it was odd.

Yes most of us who grew up on the water all learned that way. Half of you probably learned how to drive a car that way too or even sitting on someones lap. Doesn't change the fact that I think they are one in the same, whether I teach a child first or an adult first its the same in my eyes as far as responsibility on the vessel.

I also understand its a push for you to get your safety certificate like someone mentioned, like everything run by the government its a scam for your money.

But hypothetically what if your friend is curious about getting into boating and doesn't know if they really want to commit. The state forces them to bend over backwards to become a safe boater to end up not liking it, when a child can try it out and that's that. Cant even demo a boat with out it. If you're unlicensed and drive my boat and crash as a child I should and would be held liable, if your an adult and its my boat I should still be liable as you were under my supervision. (I get that's where it gets tricky)

And for the record, as much as we say it works and we can make our kids better and safer boaters, a 15 year old non safety boater certified person almost killed a couple people on a lake that maybe has 3 boats max out on it at night. I literally see the same 2 boats out at night and never anyone else

Either way because like I have said multiple times on this forum the whole process of the class, the proctored exam, and being a "safe boater certified" is all a joke and was one of the easiest things to do, provided you have the time, and sadly the hoops we jumped through to obtain a "card" wont make any of us 100% safe on the water.

I just feel supervision is supervision. A lot of people I talk too think there should be an on the water boaters exam. How would y'all feel about that? Parallel dock an inboard, loading and unloading, trailer backing up test!
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote