View Single Post
Old 01-31-2022, 10:50 AM   #30
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
Not long after I commented in post #3 above, our 25-year old geothermal unit in CT went kablooie. We had it replaced with a brand new unit in November. I was assuming the types of incentives we took advantage of when we had it installed 26 years ago might no longer be available. But I was wrong. Some are anyway.

We replaced the basement unit with a new 5-ton Hydron Module Revolution 2. New filter box/MERV 13 upgrade, connection to our existing AO Smith hybrid pre-heat water tank, and a new Honeywell thermostat that allows control from our smart phones (though I haven't downloaded the app yet).

$15K to our contractor. We've since received a $4,025 rebate from Eversource and a 26% federal tax credit that we'll take advantage of this tax season (if you can't use it all, you use the rest in future years). This nearly cut our cost in half.

Of course, all I needed to do this time was replace the failed unit. No ductwork, no fresh air controls, no drilling a well (which I'm guessing you'd opt for given all your ledge), no connection to the interior unit. My point however is to not overlook the incentives that might be available.

I've said before on this forum, if geo is available, we'd never go with anything else. Such a comfortable heat source, eco-friendly, safe (no fossil fuels), quiet, very low maintenance and it's saving us lots of money in heating (and cooling but we seldom use that since we're usually at the lake in the summer).

Good luck and the house looks beautiful.
Thanks for the honest follow up.

There are incentives on mini splits and other high efficiency systems.
We took full advantage of incentives in MA on our Solar and heating system.
Break even on Solar was approx 6.5 years.

Current estimate on Geothermal is $40-$45K before incentives.
Any complete system isn’t cheap. I have not got an estimate on mini split yet. But with that and hot water etc. I’m guessing it would probably be $20K plus incentives.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote