Thread: Swedish Village
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
Bobe

Default The Swedish Village

Wow, does this bring back memories! In the spring of 1938 our family came up to Lake Winnipesaukee to look for a vacation place to rent and we stayed at the Swedish Village while doing that. I'm sure we elected to stay there because both my parents came form Sweden. It is so long ago that I don't remember any of the details of our stay, but every time I pass that spot on route 3, it stirs vague memories. We ended up renting a place on Lockes Island, right across from the Glendale docks. The place is still there, boat house and all. The house has been enhanced somewhat but it all looks a lot the same, even with the little guest cottage which the owner occupied while we were there. We rented it for the month of August in 1938, skipped 1939, but came back in 1940 for August again. The owner at that time was couple named King and the Mrs was the person on site. They had a big old laker which she would take us for cruises in. One evening we came upon the "new Mount Washington" which was having engine trouble around the witches and watched while two or more large Chris Crafts from the Weirs came out and towed her home. The cruise craft "Swallow", a beautifully styled steam boat was based near there and I loved watching it cruise by, but was scared blue of it's loud steam whistle. Funny, the things you remember. I guess I've wandered away from the original item of this string, so I'll quit now.
Bobe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobe For This Useful Post: