View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #13
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Most restaurants use a bleach water solution (tested by the board of health) to soak bar towels between uses.We got permission to switch to a solution of water and Dawn with bleach because it's easier on the hands.
I think many of you would feel much better about eating out if you could be fly on the wall (pun intended) durring an inspection by the state.
They arrive unannounced and test everything.....temps on all hot foods (must be 140 or higher)cold foods and all refrigeration must be in the high
30's.They take swabs of all cutting/food prep surfaces.Final rinse in the dishwasher must be 180 degrees.They test bleach solutions for the bar and kitchen towels.
Soups and sauces that have been recently made and are cooling must have temps recorded on a chart....first,using a freezer paddle to shock the product from boiling to cooling......nothing thawed at room temperature.
They check all kitchen utensils,plumbing,insect/rodent control,lighting,hygienic practices,water source......inspections are thorough and they have no mercy.........and it's a good thing for the business.I'm no fan of big government but this is one agency that really serves the public well.
As long as there are people...mistakes will be made and some try to bend the rules,but generally,even older restaurants that might look a little shabby,have the same tough testing as the newer chains.
And finally.......I know people like to tell horror stories about restaurant kitchens but most of them are just that...stories.No restaurant owner in his right mind would allow a cook to drop something on the floor and then serve it or do anything else unsanitary.It would destroy your business.
Hope this helps.
Hope this helps.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post: