Thread: Opposers Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 07:07 AM   #40
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
I have been going to the lake for 35 years. I have seen my share of close calls. I have come to a dead stop many times when I should not have had to. I have seen many boaters doing things that endangered their own lives, their passengers lives and the lives of other boaters. Anybody who has ever been on this lake has seen these things. This forum is loaded with examples of intelligence challenged boaters.

But every single time I have witnessed this idiocracy (I know it’s not a real word, but a good movie). It has never been perpetrated by a performance boat. Yes I have seen people going to fast for the conditions, but that is different and I have never witnessed a performance boat doing it. Yes there are the well documented accidents involving GFBLs, and they have been discussed at nauseam. But they are only a small percentage of incidents on the lake.

I think the speed limits are ridiculous because they are targeting a group that is not the problem. Honestly, if a 30 foot boat doing 70 MPH a half a mile away from you scares and intimidates a boater, what does seeing the Mount pass you at 200 feet do to you? Why is this country so obsessed with how people feel? Why do we put perception before facts? Why are we going to let people who can’t fiscally run this country take over the best healthcare system the world has ever seen? I am sorry about the last one I got carried away.

If you want to make the lake safer, give I.Q. tests along with those Boating Certificates. Oh wait we can’t ban the stupid, oh excuse me the intellectually challenged.

Sorry for the rant.
Regarding the bolded, to be fair, just because you have not seen it doesn't mean it hasn't happened. A couple years ago 2 of us were on PWC's, heading in to Silver Sands. We were coming off plane to idle in, and a GFBL (it was actually a beautiful cigarette boat) came flying in right next to us, presumably to beat us to the ramp. He was less than 50' off my port side.

There are cap'n boneheads all around us, driving all types of water craft. I don't think it is fair to exclude any particular type of vessel.