Thread: Opposers Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #13
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow It's bigger than 45 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
While it is obvious that speeds must be limited to the conditions, I've always been reluctant to throw out numbers, because the number needs to be based on things like sightlines, weather, and traffic. Plus, It's not practical to put signage for every route, no one wants to see Winni covered with speed limit bouys.

M-n-M can do math and figure out the absolute maximum safe speed, I'm too lazy. I'm sure it's a pretty big number, but that speed would only be safe in certain conditions. He could also do the math for worst case conditions, but that number would be impossibly small.
You're correct in that any limit will have to be a compromise. You can have an overall limit, in all places and at all times, or you can do something creative. But if there is to be an overall limit it shouldn't be for the worst case conditions. Just as NH expects you to slow in rain or fog or snow or whatever when on the road, NH should expect you to slow when the lake conditions aren't optimal.

As for being "creative" I've heard the following 2 suggestions. One, the SL in in place on the weekends (and holidays). Apparently this is done in some parts of NJ to limit speeds when high boat traffic and congestion are expected. Two you could expand on the SL concept we've had for years. That would be the NWS within 150' of, well, most things. Expand that to be 60MPH when within X ft of, well, most anything. The distance X falls out of the calculations I've mentioned. The effect is some passages, which don't have sufficient sightlines for "high" speed become speed limited. Shorelines become a more "protected" zone than before so tubers and paddlers and etc are seperated from "high" speed boats. Depending on the speed desired it becomes fairly obvious as to where "high" speed is allowed ... or not.

And yes, the "magic" number is pretty large. Which explains why we haven't had "high" speed boats running over other craft every week, year after year. It isn't due to luck, it's because the "high" speed most GFBL boats can travel at is well within normal human limitations.